Tea for Two
I saw this on Design*Sponge and fell in love. My sister collects tea cups and saucers, so I automatically thought about how simple this project could be:
- lamp kit (available at most hardware stores)
- strong ceramic adhesive
- teaware (cups, saucers, teapots, etc.)
- plate with fluted edges for the base
- drill press or corded/battery-operated drill*
- tile/glass drill bit*
1. Submerge each piece of teaware in a tub of cool water prior to drilling to prevent the tile/glass drill bit from overheating during the drilling process. Carefully drill a hole in the center of each piece.
When drilling all the way through a material, it helps to place the item on top of a piece of scrap wood to protect the surface beneath and to provide support for the material.
2. Now that the hard part is over, the design process can begin. Decide how the teaware should be stacked, taking in to consideration the lamp-kit wiring instructions. Begin gluing the pieces together. I found that working in sections is best. As the lamp is stacked, pull the wire through each section.
3. Once the adhesive is dry, finish the wiring and assembly per the lamp kit’s instructions.